Claims Not Handled by the Government Claims Program
Against the California State University
A claim against the California State University must be filed with the Office of Risk Management & Public Safety at the address below within six (6) months after which the incident or event occurred along with a $25 claim filing fee made out to "Trustees of CSU". Completed claims must be delivered or mailed to:
The California State University - Office of the Chancellor
Risk Management and Public Safety
401 Golden Shore, 5th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802-4210
Visit the CSU Risk Management and Public Safety web site for further information or to obtain a claim form.
Against the University Of California
Do not file a claim with the Government Claims Program. Contact the campus directly.
Claims involving campuses of the University of California, such as parking lot defects, dormitories or health centers are handled at the campus from which the claim arose.
For a listing of those campuses, please visit http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses/welcome.html.
Against the State Compensation Insurance Fund
Claims against State Compensation Insurance Fund are handled directly by State Compensation Insurance Fund.
Claims must be mailed or delivered to:
State Compensation Insurance Fund
Attn: Frank Floyd
2450 Venture Oaks Way
Sacramento, CA 95833
Against a City or County
If the case involves a county, city or other local governmental entity or employee, the claim should be filed directly with the local city or county's governing board or clerk. Please contact the city or county directly for information on how to file a claim with the specific entity.
Against a Court
Claims against a judicial branch entity, such as a court or judge, should be submitted as described in California Government Code section 915(c). Generally, a claim, claim amendment, or an application for leave to file a late claim shall be presented to a judicial branch entity as follows:
- Delivering or mailing it to the court executive officer, if the claim is against a superior court or a judge, court executive officer, or trial court employee.
- Delivering or mailing it to the clerk/administrator of the court of appeals, if against a court of appeals or a judge of that court.
- Delivering or mailing it to the Clerk of the Supreme Court, if against the Supreme Court or a judge of that court.
- Delivering or mailing it to the Secretariat of the Judicial Council, if against the Judicial Council or the Administrative Office of the Courts.
Please contact the court involved for further details.
Claims for unredeemed bonds must be filed with the State Treasurer's Office.
Claims must be mailed to:
State Treasurer's Office
PO Box 942809
Sacramento, CA 94209-0001
For more information, contact the State Treasurer's Office at (916) 653-2995.
If your claim is under $100.00, do not file a claim with the Government Claims Program.
Contact the agency directly. For a list of agencies, see CA.gov's Agency Directory.
If your claim is under $1,000.00 and is against:
- California Highway Patrol
- Department of Consumer Affairs
- Department of General Services
- Department of Motor Vehicles
do not file a claim with the Government Claims Program.
See the name of the agency below for their contact information.
- California Highway Patrol Legal Coordination Unit
P.O. Box 942898 Sacramento, CA 94298-0001 (916) 843-3020
- Consumer Affairs Tort Manager Attn: Randy Booth, Team 915
1625 North Market Blvd. Suite S-103, Sacramento, CA 95834 (916) 574-7130
- Department of General Services Attn: Risk Management
For claims involving state-owned vehicles
707 3rd St., 1st Fl, West Sacramento, CA 95605 (916) 376-5302
- Department of Motor Vehicles Administrative Services Division
MS E113 P.O. Box 932382, Sacramento, CA 94232-3820 (916) 657-8152
If your claim is under $10,000 and is against Department of Transportation (Caltrans), do not file a claim with the Government Claims Program.
File your claim with Caltrans directly with the Claim against Department of Transportation for Amounts $10,000.00 and Less form (LD0274):
Department of Transportation (Caltrans)
1120 N St.
Sacramento, CA 95814