Government Claims Program

Esta página en Español »

The Government Claims Program (GCP) processes claims for money or damages against the state. This function was vested in 1911 with the State Board of Control, the predecessor to the VCGCB. In general, anyone who wishes to file a lawsuit against the State or its employees for damages must first pursue an administrative remedy through the GCP claims process. Only if the claim is rejected or denied may the claim be pursued through the courts. In some cases, claims may be resolved through the GCP process.

News and Updates

Government Claims Program and Department of General Services logos

Government Claims Program Moves to Department of General Services

On July 1, 2016, the Government Claims Program moved to the Department of General Services. Please see the new Government Claims Program website for more details. Please also update your bookmarks to point to its new address.

If you have questions regarding the Government Claims Program, contact the program toll-free at (800) 955-0045 or e-mail

How to file a claim against:

How to file a claim for: