Trauma Recovery Center Grant Questions and Answers
September 27, 2013
1. Is there a preferred/recommended/reasonable cost per person for the grant request or grant program budget? For example, assisting 700 unduplicated clients on a budget of $700,000.00 for 1 year, equates to average $1,000.00 per person.
No. The applicant should determine how the costs will be estimated for the grant program budget.
2. In section 7 when it states eligible costs including clinical supervision, does this mean that MFT Interns can provide some of the services, or must all services be provided by licensed clinical staff?
Yes, MFT interns can provide services as long as the MFT intern is registered and properly supervised according to the requirements set by the Board of Behavioral Sciences.
3. Am I correct in understanding that indirect costs are only able to be included in the budget if you have an approved indirect cost allocation plan approved by another government funding entity?
Yes, any applicant claiming indirect costs must submit a copy of the indirect cost allocation plan. Indirect costs will be limited to no more than 5% of any award.
4. Would all clients served through these funds need to have a similar level of approval to be served like clients who are served through the VOC program? That is, would they need to be approved for reimbursement of services through Sacramento, or can we serve clients who are victims of crime, have submitted a police report, etc.
No, clients will not need to be approved through CalVCP before receiving services.
5. I am wondering if it is acceptable to submit a joint application from a hospital and a university?
Any entity may make the decision to apply, but eligibility cannot be determined until the scoring process is implemented.
6. The RFP states in section 16 that “funds will be release on a quarterly basis upon receipt of required invoices and reports.”Will reimbursement be on a fee for service basis or based on actual costs?
As indicated in Item 16, Process for Payment, the draw is retrospective and based on actual costs.
7. Do the grant funds need to be payer of last resort for services such as mental health counseling if another resource (e.g. private insurance) is available?
Yes, the grant funds should be used as the payer of last resort.
8. Can the multi-disciplinary team named in 5.2.e include additional professionals such as Licensed Marriage Family Therapists?
Yes, as long as the clinician is licensed by the appropriate licensing board.
9. I noticed that the timeline for submission changed as of 8/22/13. However I have not seen what the new deadlines are.
Notice of Funds Available Release Date: Monday, August 19, 2013
Final Date to Submit Questions: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 by 5:00 pm PST
Response to Questions Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013
Final Application Submission Date: Thursday, October 17, 2013 by 2:00 pm PST
Estimated Grant Award Date: Thursday November 21, 2013
10. Is remodel/refurbish an allowable cost? We will request rent and utilities in the grant budget, but we also need to refurbish the space in mind to have new cables for internet connections, and perhaps a fresh coat of paint. Is that an allowable expense?
As indicated under Item 7, Eligible Costs, operating expenses related to direct services such as rent, utilities, postage, etc. are allowed. Remodel/refurbish expenses, including paint, are not considered eligible operating expenses.
11. Is office furniture (basic desks, chairs, tables) and computers an allowable expense?
No, office furniture and computers are not an allowable expense.
12. At any point in the process, either during the application period or after a decision is made, will the Board need to review financial documents or other background information from the organization awarded the grant? If so, which documents should be prepared?
As indicated under Item 9, Reporting Requirements, there may be additional forms and data requested by the Board to allow the Board to receive the 60 percent federal matching funds for eligible victim services and allowable expenses. Specific financial documents or other background information that may be required has not yet been determined.